Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Concrete

        While I was volunteering at Noble Academy, the Hmong Charter School, I taught my students the difference between cement and concrete, cement is mixed with water and gravel to make concrete. When Joanne's grave marker was first placed it was mounted on a 'concrete' foundation. Last fall the concrete base was replaced with granite. Why? Concrete lasts 100 years or so, granite last centuries. 

      There was a cost savings to this process if I would dispose of the concrete foundation. With my loader I moved it to behind the garage. Since the rain Friday fieldwork is at a standstill. Consequently, the grain elevator staff are also more relaxed because it is too wet for them to spread fertilizer. Aha, I thought, the timing's right to ask a favor. "May I borrow a man with a forklift to move some concrete?"

      So, the concrete foundation that once supported Joanne's grave marker now lies out the back door of The Little House. It was about a twenty minute job with the right equipment. There it may rest in peace.

      More rain news:  The lobby of the elevator is a crossroads of farmer traffic. The 3.5" of rain reported was from west of  town. East of town the total was between 2 & 2.5". Some of my land received the lesser amount and other of my land the greater. The town of Arlington, about 12 NW of The Little House, received 4.5"  Today there was another shower so fieldwork is further delayed.

Takk for alt,

Al

                                   Placement
                           The concrete slab.


No comments: