Sunday, October 4, 2026

"Author Reveal"

      A few blogs ago I quoted an author's description of autumn and indicated that I'd give his name later. It's now time for an "Author Reveal."  The author is contemporary Karl Ove Knausgaard. Either of you guess that he's Norwegian? Well, he is!

   He's gained fame for his Death in the Family: My Struggle Book 1, A Man in Love: My Struggle Book 2, Boyhood Island: My Struggle Book 3, Dancing in the Dark: My Struggle Book 4, Some Rain Must Fall: Book 5, and The End; Book 6.   Perhaps you want to read the Struggle books next week, all 3600 pages.

   For quite a while I've been aware of these books, but the sheer size has been daunting. Finding a shorter book by him in a used bookstore I thought it would be a good way to get acquainted with this author, and it was. Reading Autumn, published in 2015, psyche's me for reading more.

   Autumn is a book of essays and letters. The letters were addressed to his unborn daughter. The essays are on random subjects, each less than three pages. The first three essays' Apples, Wasps and Plastic Bags, are indicative of how random they are. Every essay is well written with language to savor even surviving translation. Many contain profound insights on which to ponder. He's made myriad connections which have never occurred to me.

Takk for alt,

Al



No comments: