Wednesday, July 29, 2026

"A man and his dog...."

    "Read A Man and His Dog by Katherine Mansfield. Full text of this classic short story, free to read online at American Literature."  Have either of you read this story?  I haven't but I'm living it. Odie and I do some circumambulating the cemetery every morning. This, largely black, dog gets hot very quickly, so we don't stay too long. Frequent bouts of fetch in the air-conditioned house supplement his daily exercise regime. 

    It's a steep learning curve for an older dog. Out of a kennel into a strange home, a new owner, and today he had his first ride on the seat of a truck. His response seemed, "this is different, but I could get used to it." Possible anthropomorphizing here. Chickens across the street tempting him. Lots of new experiences but he's a happy boy.

   This hot weather keeps us inside more. But he's not ready to be off leash in the field yet. He may think he's been kidnapped and head for his former home. The time will come that he can run freely while I attend to duties in the field.

Takk for alt,

Al

After playing fetch.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Mansfield story got me to pause a moment. Hmm I thought. There is more than a slight resemblance here. They both require more playtime and share an interest in roosters. It’s likely Al occasionally wonders which is his real home. Oh, but a new game of fetch is all that’s needed to bring each of them restful moments of quiet exhaustion.